"

Problems building "Bare metal" examples using Eclipse IDE 2015.06

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the ARC GNU IDE 2015.06 and the sample projects for the EM (emsk_software_v2p1).

After some difficulties, I managed to build sample projects (e.g., fibonacci), from the command line, and I also succeeded in building the io project from the IDE. However, building the other sample projects fails with message

**** Build of configuration em5d for project fibonacci ****

Nothing to build for project fibonacci

Cleaning the project also doesn't help.

Did anybody encounter this problem, any ideas what do do?

FunkBert

Comments

• edited September 2015
    Hi FunkBert,
    If you've succeeded in building one IDE project and fails in fibonacci, I'd suggest you to close the fibonnaci project and then clean/rebuild it. Make sure the second project follows the same routine as the one you've succeeded in.
    And this makefile message often shows the file is the latest. If you've built your elf file, could you try delete that file and build again? If everything is ok it should be able to build and there will be different messages if any error happens in the process.
    If there are still more problems please tell more about how you import/build your projects thus we could see what's missing there and could help further, thanks.
    Elliot
  • Hi Funkbert,
    I'm not sure if you could try that with an earlier release of GNU toolchain? You could try it with 2014.02 release and here's and link:
    https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/arc_gnu_eclipse/releases/tag/arc-2014.12
    You could follow the steps in the EMSK user guide to import/run the gnu IDE projects, and will get back to you when I have more information about the 2015.06 version of GNU IDE tool.
    Thanks.
    Elliot

• edited September 2015
    FunkBert said:

Hi,

I downloaded and installed the ARC GNU IDE 2015.06 and the sample projects for the EM (emsk_software_v2p1).

After some difficulties, I managed to build sample projects (e.g., fibonacci), from the command line, and I also succeeded in building the io project from the IDE. However, building the other sample projects fails with message

FunkBert

Hi FunkBert,
    I saw the same problem you have and am communicating with engineers for the cause. For the time being I suggest you to use the embARC examples on EMSK with GNU, and I confirm that those examples are good with MetaWare if you could use it. Sorry for the inconnivence.
  • FunkBert said:

Hi,

FunkBert

Hi FunkBert,
    I tried with 2015.06 and see something interesting. Have you ever succeeded in building any application project with the IDE? Any project besides "io"? I could compile the "io" project but the other projects like "adc""fibonacci""hello_uart" etc fail and I see the settings are blank! Follow the step to see if you are experciening the same thing:
    right click on project->Properties->C/C++ Build->Settings.
    The Settings are blank on my machine which caused the "nothing to build" error. However there are options with 2014.12 GNU tools, if you'd like to play with that it will be helpful.
    And remeber to add the option "-mcpu=arcem" to the compiler option, there's a known issue that we need to specify the cpu type for em.
    I've raised the problem within Synopsys and hopefully could get some infor later, but for the time being please use GNU2014.12 for your test.
    Thanks.
    Elliot
  • Many thanks - it is very helpful to learn that my problem could be reproduced.

Indeed, I never succeeded to build anything but "io" in the IDE. Your hints are very helpful. I had GNU2014.12 installed and updated to 2015.06 just last week before starting the tests. I never tried 2014.12. Before going back to the old version, I will have a look to see whether I can fix the problem.

I had a look at the settings, and indeed, apart from the configuration name and the binary parser, they are empty.

Hubert
  • Hi Hubert,
    I learned from our engineers that there are a lot of IDE updates to merge previous Linux/windows settings and it's possible that the EMSK projects are not updated simultaneously:) Those projects are released before this 2015.06 GNU release but after the 2014.12 version. I confirm that you could build with the 2014.12 version and there's already a STAR filed for this. Please try with the 2014.12 version and sorry for the trouble.
    Thanks for your feedback and please let us know if you have any questions on both embARC and EMSk and alike, thanks again.
    Best regards.
    Elliot
  • Understood.

We succeeded building the EMSK "baremetal" projects using the 2014.12 version (after adding the missing compiler switch). The sample projects in the embARC201505 collection can be built with the 2015.06 version.

The piece of information which I found to be missing is how to set the Eclipse workspace for this exercise. The correct setting is ...\embARC201505\embARC\ide_projects\emsk_21\gnu. Then we imported the projects (without copying) to the workspace.

So we are ready to move on to the next steps in our evaluation.

Once more, many thanks for your assistance!

Hubert
  • Hi Hubert,
    Yes for embARC you need to use "gnu" for gnu projects as the workspace, it's great to hear you could move on. embARC is tested with 2015.06 GNU tools so it should work as expected. Hopefully after the GNU unification we will avoid such troubles:)
    Thanks for the input and best regards.
    Elliot