"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Building working examples of Eclipse IDE using GNU Toolchain

Hello,

I'd like to work with the example projects made for Eclipse on my Linux-based environment. I'd like to as whether it's possible to build the project right from the example directory "~/embARC/example/baremetal/bootloader" using make command?
I tried that and it returns that I require "ccac" which is a cross-compiler I assume. I've already built the toolchain on my PC from: https://github.com/foss-for-synopsys-dwc-arc-processors/toolchain/wiki/EM-Starter-Kit
and the cross-compiler resulting from that is "arc-elf32-gcc", not "ccac".

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi eugenelet,
    the default toolchain uses the metaware toolchain rather than ARC GNU toolchain, from the makefile under ~/embARC/example/options/options.mk you could see the option "TOOLCHAIN ?= mw", you could change it to "TOOLCHAIN?=gnu" to use GNU by default.
    From the embac user manual document ~/embARC/doc/embARC_Document.html, there are options to control board_version, toolchain, etc. See section embarc->Example->Make Options for embARC. Thanks.
    -Elliot
  • Hello Elliot,

I've followed the documentation given for the make parameters which is:
    make BOARD=emsk BD_VER=20 CUR_CORE=arcem7d TOOLCHAIN=gnu

The following are the error messages that came along.
    Creating Directory : obj_emsk_20/gnu_arcem7d
    Compiling : main.c
    arc-elf32-gcc: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-mmpy16’
    make: *** [../../../options/rules.mk:234: obj_emsk_20/gnu_arcem7d/main.o] Error 1

Did i get the wrong cross compiler? Or do I have to edit the Makefile myself to have this:
    -mcpu=em4 -mswap -mnorm -mmpy-option=wlh3 -mbarrel-shifter (from the toolchain site)

Or is there a better way on dealing with this issue?

Thanks!
    Eugene
  • Hi Eugene,
    The GNU toolchain has updated and deleted this "-mmpy16" option from GNU2016.03 . Are you using GNU2015.12? Which embARC package do you use? The 2016.05 release contains the following message:
    Tool Support
    •Eclipse IDE for GNU Toolchain for ARC Processors, 2015.12
    •MetaWare Development Toolkit, 2015.12
    And you've already got the solution: change the makefile to make it compatible with the toolchain. Or you could rollback the GNU toolchain to 2015.12.
    Thanks.
    -Elliot
  • Hi Elliot,

Great, got it working now. Have to change the makefile myself to support the latest toolchain. Thanks for helping! :)

Eugene